Monday, April 26, 2010

Tipsy Steak


Tipsy Steak
Adapted from "Cuisine Grilling"

I so wanted to make this recipe as it was called for in the magazine...I mean, what's not to like about a recipe called "Drunken Pork Kebobs". But as I did not have any pork tenderloin and I did have some thawed steak in the fridge, logic reared it's ugly head and I,  actually cooked something that didn't involve (a lot of) sugar and did involve something legitimately nutritious.

This makes a wonderful glaze/sauce. If I was allowed to grill on my balcony (fire code in my village says no, neighbors do it anyway and I'm a coward with things like that) this would be even better than it was with the foreman grill. The recipe called for pureeing the sauce but I skipped the step as I liked the slight crunch the onions gave to the sauce.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup diced onion
3 tbsp butter
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup bourbon whiskey (I used scotch)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce

Sautee onion in butter in a saucepan over medium heat until soft, 4-5 minutes. Stir in remainder of ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree if wanted with hand blender, and set aside half the sauce for serving.

Baste steak with sauce. Grill for 3-4 minutes (approximate), turn meat and baste again. Grill until done to your preference. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving with reserved sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I am always looking for new grilling recipes! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it turns out...have a feeling a proper grill would be perfect with this.

    ReplyDelete