Monday, August 9, 2010

Prosciutto Mozzarella Pinwheels


I made this recently as part of Bacon Tuesdays for some friends at work. And I should warn you that Giada's picture of this is much more prettier. However, despite its lack of distinct layers, this is very yummy for something so easy to make. I would recommend using your best judgment for baking times depending on the thickness of the roll as it can take longer than the 25 minutes that she recommends. This would be something super simple to whip up on a weekday after work if you're a slightly lazy cook like me.

PROSCIUTTO MOZZARELLA PINWHEELS 
from "Giada's Kitchen" by Giada de Laurentiis

Flour for dusting
1 pound purchased pizza dough
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
7 ounces prosciutto thinly sliced
1 cup coarsely chopped baby spinach
1 tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat over to 425. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

On lightly floured surface, roll out pizza dough to 12 or 14 inch circle approximately 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle half of mozzarella cheese over dough and arrange prosciutto over cheese in single slayer. Sprinkle with spinach and top with with remaining cheese and mozzarella.

Roll dough into thin tube (as much as you are able to if you are like me) and tuck in ends. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet with seams down and bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Mine was a thicker tube, so it took over 35 minutes until it was done).

Cool for 3 or 4 minutes, then cut and serve.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! This looks RIDICULOUS! Man, do I ever love Giada, too. This actually reminds me of a stromboli, which I have not made in eons. I'll have to bookmark this recipe, too!

    You are really posting some great recipes these days, FG-U! You might actually get me back in the kitchen making some new stuff! I think I need the inspiration these days and you are providing it! I just need to get off my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Coyote. You have got to get back into the kitchen...I miss those to die for, how did I live without it recipes that you always come up with! Although those saturday cartoons may help me pull through until that day.

    ReplyDelete