Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cinnamon Madelines

 
I have a thing for madeleines. Not so much for eating them but just admiring how cute they look with those scalloped edges. Which is probably why I bought a special madeleine pan that has been sitting in my kitchen cupboard along with all the other pans I haven't used while the ones I do want seem to have fallen into some sort of culinary black hole. In any event, the madeleine pan finally had its official unveiling last week when I was desperate for a sweet and came across a very simple recipe on the back of the box.

At first, the cookies seem a little on the simple side. I had made some adjustments to the original recipe and whether it was the changes or even a tiny second or two of overcooking, I found them to be slightly on the dry side. In retrospect, I wish I had given them a slight dip in some rum or other type of booze to moisten them up and give a little kick. But they were good enough that I ate more than I ought to have had threw half the batter away so I wouldn't be tempted to eat more.

Overall, I'd grade these a B. But to be fair to them, I'll give the recipe one more try without the substitutions to see if that makes a difference.



Cinnamon Madeleines
from: Chicago Metallic

2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter melted and cooled
2 eggs
1/2 tsp cinnamon extract
1 cup powdered maple sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pan with nonstick spray. Sift together flour and baking powder in small bowl and set aside. In an electric mixer, beat eggs and maple extract on high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat another 5 minutes or until thick.

Gently fold in flour mixture, then melted butter. Mix until smooth. Spoon into cups filling approximately 3/4 full. Bake approximately 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool in pan 1-2 minutes. Loosen cookies with knife and then invert pan onto rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool. Makes 25 madeleines.

1 comment: