Saturday, November 7, 2009

Apple Butterscotch Cookies



This is probably not the best recipe to make if one is borderline psycho pms'd because you will, as I was, be gobbling these down off the rack and then when you're thinking you can't possible eat one more bite, realize that you are in love with the butterscotch frosting. And not only are you in love with the butterscotch frosting, you somehow find the room to eat another 4 cookies because the frosting makes them impossible to resist.

It's actually a fairly easy recipe to make all things considered but bear in mind this is a sticky dough when you're dropping it on the cookie sheet so they won't be perfectly formed. Also I made the glaze a little thicker so it was more of a frosting and skipped the walnuts in the frosting (mostly because I forgot them).

These are really rich cookies, so in theory a little goes a long way. And by a long way, I mean that I will be bringing the rest of them to work tomorrow with me to get them out of the house and far away from my greedy little hands.


Butterscotch Apple Cookies
from "Nestle's Best-Ever Cookies"

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1/2 cup apple juice
1 2/3 cups (11 oz pkg) Butterscotch Morsels, divided
3/4 cup (1 small) unpeeled, grated apple (I used diced)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (divided)
Butterscotch Glaze (Recipe Follows)

Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat brown sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture, alternating with apple juice. Stir in 1 1/2 cups morsels, apple and 1/2 cup walnuts. Drop by slightly founded tablespoons onto lightly greased baking sheets.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 2 minute; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Spread with butterscotch glaze; sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

For Butterscotch Glaze:
Melt remaining morsels and 2 tbsp butter in small heavy duty saucepan over lowest possible heat. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup sifted powedered sugar and 1 to 1/2 tbsp apple juice until smooth.

4 comments:

  1. They do look irresistible! Frosted cookies are just plain evil, don't you agree? ;-) I'm sure your colleagues will go crazy for these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look pretty as a picture...I love butterscotch in general..but glazed on a cookie like this is just plain genius in my opinion !

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies sound addictive! My husband loves butterscotch, so I need to make these for him- thanks for sharing.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Palidor..I'm ashamed to admit they never made it to the coworkers. I had a bit of a cookiepalooza at home and ate them until I threw them out because they could not stay in the house one more minute.

    Nat...they were so good. I'd go for butterscotch over chocolate chips every day if I could.

    Lynda...they are so addictive. Next time I'm making a half batch to be on the safe side. I'm looking forward to trying your meatball recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete