Wednesday, December 16, 2009

MSC: Gingerbread Cupcakes



 This month's recipe for the dedicated bakers of the MSC was hosted by Kayte over at Grandma's Kitchen Table. And as Martha's recipes go, part of it was fairly simple while the rest of it was way over the top. For awhile I had vaguely thought of giving it all a shot while cheating just a tiny bit (store bought gingerbread cookies) but in the end, with time running out, this is all she wrote.

I was somewhat taken aback when I pulled the cupcakes out of the oven and found they were rather squat, dense, slightly crispy and a tiny bit burned on top. Now the squat and dense makes sense considering there was no baking powder in it. But the cooking time of 25 minutes that Martha calls for is definitely too long. I'd recommend starting to check around 20 minutes for doneness and go from there.

I love gingerbread, so I added extra giner, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves so I ended up with a slightly spicier cupcake. To alleviate the spiciness, I went with an alternative topping and used Penzy's Raspberry Enlightment Sauce in lieu of the frosting. Yum. Major yum. Makes me glad that I made only 1/3 of the recipe or I'd be seriously in trouble right now.

Just a word of warning: these are not very moist cupcakes and they will not keep very long. I took my pictures the day after I made them and they were definitely at the end of their shelf life. I think I would make them again but add baking powder this time around. .


9 comments:

  1. I love what you did! And I was a bit surprised at how they came out of the oven too. And I would also add some b. powder next time. Because I liked the taste...

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm that glaze looks like a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! The glaze sounds great. My cupcakes were also a little crispy on top. I couldn't decide if that was a good or bad thing. I also agree that these don't have much of a shelf life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice alternative to the frosting! My cupcakes were duds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving these! It's a shame they didn't have more longevity, though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cupcakes were so dry, right out of the oven. Love what you did with them. Wish I'd have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pity the baking time was wrong - and one day shelf life isn't too flash either. Oh well - can't win them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your topping idea. Mine came out the same way and I underbaked them, too. I was not a fan of this recipe. Meh.

    I also like that you increased the spices. Nothing is better than pow flavor!

    Thanks for baking along with us this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the glaze on them, looks like a sticky date pudding type.

    ReplyDelete