Saturday, January 2, 2010

Baby Steps

I never thought I would say this, but I am almost glad to be going back to work on Monday.

Things are starting to get a little better at home after having to say goodbye to Mr. Data on Christmas Day. But it was a very long week without him at home this week. I should explain that  I'm the kind of person that looks at a pet as being a much loved part of the family. It's a way of life that's been passed down for a few generations.  Back when I was younger, the pets used to "give" and "get" Christmas gifts of their own under the tree.And I know of a few people, friends and family (myself included), who decorate their houses based on what's comfortable for the cats.So, life without a cat in the house just doesn't seem natural at all.

I think it's hardest to get used to the quiet whenever I walk into the kitchen, There's no Mr. Data following me into the kitchen, convinced I'm finally finally going to give him that something yummy that I had given him years before that he's been waiting for to repeat ever since. I don't wake up hours early to a kitty batting me around the head with his paws and my carpet is really really clean for the first time in a long time.

I'd trade sleepless nights and a yodeling kitty who left surprises around the house in a heartbeat for what I have now though. Still, there's a part of me that feels he will always be a part of my heart, so in a way, I will always have him with me. And in the past week I've found two good pet loss support groups to help with this transition that I think will do me some good.

I've started to miss the kitchen a little bit (this past week everything has been junk food or takeout) so I'm hoping to get into the kitchen and make some cookies tomorrow. Hopefully I should be able to post some yummy pictures soon. 

Thank you to everyone who left their very kind messages of condolence or kept us in your thoughts and prayers. Your thoughtful words really did mean a lot. I have really been blessed with the people who have been a part of my life online this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment