Sunday, January 3, 2010

Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies


Sometime in December, before Christmas, I'd come across a wonderful recipe for Gingerbread Butterscotch cookies on someone's blog. Unfortunately, I could not find it again. Which is a shame because their cookies looked awesome. Fortunately, Google saved the day as I came across this recipe over at Nestle's Very Best Baking Site.

I go totally gonzo for anything butterscotch. And I have a peculiar fondness for gingerbread despite the fact that the smell of molasses makes me feel ill. There's just something funky about the smell and texture of it. But when I'd seen the original recipe in December I still actually thought it was an interesting combination. Sometimes, when a particular thought takes root in your brain, you know you have to try it even if it turns out to be revolting.

This turned out to be soooo good. Seriously. You have to try it. First bite is sweet. Then about a few chews into the mouthful, the spiciness kicks in. The two flavors definitely balance each other out. Only shame was that I did not have any milk in the house to go with the cookies and considering it's about 4 degrees out there with the windchill and I'm in the mood to whine about the weather I wasn't about to go walk up to the grocery store.

I found the  dough to be very thick when I mixed it so for once, I did not dump the morsels in the mixer anyway and stirred them instead by hand. And despite the recommendations to let the cookies cool for 15, I started chowing down on them about halfway to that and they were perfectly fine. It's a pretty simple, easy to assemble yummy recipe, with only a few dishes to wash afterwards and to me that is the sign of a perfect recipe.


Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/3 cup mild molasses
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 2/3 cups/11 oz pkg Butterscotch Morsels

PREHEAT oven to 350° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in small bowl.

BEAT sugar, butter, molasses and egg in large mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in flour mixture until well blended. Stir in morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment