Thursday, March 11, 2010

BB: Individual Meat Loaves

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I've often made meatloaf by cheating a little (using a box of stuffing) but never really from scratch. Mostly because of laziness...much easier just to dump everything in a bowl, mush it up, put it in a loaf pan and be done with it. 5 minutes prep time total at best. So when I started out making this recipe I was slightly curious how it would turn out. 

In a word, yummy. I thought it was one of the juicier, subtly flavored meatloaves I've had in awhile. A little extra ketchup goes a long way with this one. 

I made only a few minor changes to the recipe (unusual for me). I went with ground turkey over beef as it was cheaper at the store and as I'd forgotten to buy fresh thyme, I used dried thyme instead. As my cookie sheets were all in use, I made the loaves in little mini square cake pans and it turned out perfect. Thumbs up all around.

 Ina Garten's Individual Meat Loaves

Ingredients


  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 3 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/3 cup canned chicken stock or broth
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 1/2 pounds ground chuck (81 percent lean)
  • 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
  • 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup ketchup

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not brown. Off the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs, and mix lightly with a fork. Don't mash or the meatloaf will be dense. Divide the mixture into 6 (10 to 11-ounce) portions and shape each portion into a small loaf on a sheet pan. Spread about a tablespoon of ketchup on the top of each portion. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the internal temperature is 155 to 160 degrees F and the meat loaves are cooked through. Serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear the turkey worked for this. I will try that on my next go round. I love the way yours looks. I didn't put enough ketchup on top of mine. These were easy and tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, Turkey Meatloaf is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice switch with the turkey! Glad you enjoyed this pick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy, Bit and Tonya...this was way better than I had thought it would be. Next time I might cheat a little and sprinkle a little cheese down the middle of the loaf.

    ReplyDelete