Monday, March 29, 2010

Potage Parmentier Soup

 I've been taunted by the leeks in my fridge.

 A few weeks ago, I had completely blanked on including the braised leeks that were to go along with a lemon roasted chicken I was making with the Cooking Italy blogging group. So I threw the leeks back in the fridge with the goal of making Potage Parmentier, something that's intrigued me since I read about it in "Julie & Julia." 

But as it often the case with me when I'm busy, the leeks languished in the fridge until they reached the point of no return today. As in, they were clinging desperately to the very last of their usable shelf life. And since I had spent what I thought was a ridiculous amount of money on them at the time, I figured today was the day. It was P-Day. 

What I love most about the soup is how easy it is to assemble. Apart from the prolonged soaking/scrubbing one must do with the leeks due to the sandy bits in them. All you need is leeks, potatoes, water, cream or butter, salt and chives or parsley. The most complicated part of it was having to blend the soup in batches as I don't have a huge blender. I know that is a no no in Julia's eyes but I was not about to mash them into tiny bits. I have my limits after a long day of doing pretty much nothing at home. 


Potage Parmentier (Potato and Leek Soup) – Julia Child 

1¼ hours | 15 min prep
SERVES 4
  • 1 lb potato, peeled and diced (I leave skins on)
  • 3 cups leeks, thinly sliced (white and tender green parts only)
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 4-6 tablespoons whipping cream or 2-3 tablespoons softened butter
  • 2-3 tablespoons minced parsley or chives
  1. Simmer vegetables, water and salt together, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.
  2. Mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or puree in blender. Correct seasoning.
  3. Off heat and just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls. Pour into a tureen or soup cups and decorate with the herbs.
  4. Good hot, cold or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment