Sunday, March 7, 2010

CI: Roast Chicken with Lemons

Today's recipe came from the Cooking Italy Bloggers who are working their way through Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking."

And I have an embarassing confession.

I'm almost ashamed to even admit to it.

But I have never in my life roasted a chicken until today.

Another one of those weird cooking quirks that has developed over time in  my life. I was just convinced that I simply could not make a roast chicken. I don't remember any post traumatic roast chicken issues so I don't know where it came from. So I was a little concerned about this recipe but went ahead with it anyway considering how simple it was to make and the limited ingredients: Chicken, salt, pepper and lemons. I figured it had to be somewhat foolproof even for someone like me.

I am so glad I tried this. It had to have been one of the best roast chickens I've had in a long time. Juicy and tasty, with the meat almost melting in my mouth. This would definitely be my go-to recipe for any roast chicken needs in the future.

ROAST CHICKEN WITH LEMONS
3-4 lb chicken
Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper
2 small lemons ( I could not find them so I used one larger lemon)

Preheat oven t0 350 degrees. Wash chicken throughly (inside/outside) and let dry, slightly tilted for water to drain. Rub down with salt & pepper, making sure to also salt/pepper the cavity. Wash lemons in cold water, dry and roll until softened. Prick with fork or toothpick approximately 20 times. Place lemon inside cavity, and loosely close cavity with toothpicks or kitchen twine.

Cook for approximately 30 minutes, flip chicken over, raise temperature to 400 (I forgot this) and cook an additional 30 minutes approximately (may require slightly longer cooking time for bigger bird).Serve immediately. Chicken is also delicious (I can agree with that!) served later at room temperature.

7 comments:

  1. OMG - this is going to change your life! Really! I roast chickens all the time and it's the best thing I ever learned to do. There is so much versatility and a million things you can do with the leftovers. And the soup! Once you get comfy, you can start making stock!! A whole new world is about to open up to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made the leap with roasting chicken by using an awesome recipe.
    Glad to hear that you had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coyote, I feel like I can leap tall buildings with a single bound now :)

    Velva - thanks for visiting my blog! It was a awesome recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Next time, push some openings under the skin around the neck and push some garlic cloves and rosemary in them and add some to the lemons inside the cavity. The meat is to kill for and the juice is delicious on rice, pasta or even potatoes!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat - I'm drooling already. Thanks for the yummy tips and for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant first effort - you will be making this all the time now. Once you've roasted a chicken the sky is the limit, and the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, a successfully roasted chicken that you loved! I love lemon in anything and I thought this was really wonderful. Definitely a new go-to around here. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete