Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Ultimate Compliment


Someone at the concert tonight described my Italian Knot Cookies as the "Better Than Sex Cookies." How cool is that?

Of course, I had to disagree. Everyone knows that moniker belongs to creme brulee.But still, compliments about my rusty cooking skills are very welcome indeed.

I had a lot of fun tonight...so it's a little sad that our Wednesday concert series has come to an end. Fortunately, the group itself will continue to meet which is a good thing as I think I could do a lot of growing here. No intimidation factors. But I did realize something tonight. I have become a lazy conversationalist. And by that I mean, I don't ask questions a lot. I don't express interest as much as I should. Sometimes I take a conversational volley and make it about me. And it's not intentional. But it does have a tendency to derail a conversation when I jump in and start talking about me. It's just something I need to work on if I want to progress in socializing more. I was lucky to be sitting with some good people tonight who took the conversational reigns but I was definitely answering more questions than I was asking. Time to get from me to we.


Italian Knot Cookies
5 c Flour
6 tsp baking powder
6 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/2 lb butter (2 sticks)
2 tsp anise oil or lemon extract (I used orange)

Cream sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and lemon or anise together. Fold in flour and baking powder. Shape into knots on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Dip in frosting when cooled.

FROSTING
1 lb bag powdered sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp lemon extract
2-3 drops yellow food coloring

Mix together. Very thin frosting. Dip cookies one at a time. Let dry on rack before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment