Saturday, September 26, 2009

Toffee Cookies


So a day of resting and meds did wonders for me as I felt up to making cookies tonight. I found a recipe for toffee chocolate chip cookies and thought, "hey I can do that." Did a little google search, found a recipe at allrecipes and away I went.

Now of course, I tweaked. The recipe called for toffee chips and milk chocolate chips. I had milk chocolate toffee chips and thought that was close enough. I ended up with a very soft dough but went ahead anyway as the dough tasted very good out of the mixing bowl.

They were tasty enough. I had 4 just to make sure I liked them. But they were crispier than I liked ... a kind of crispy chewy if that makes sense. I think because the dough spread out more than I had expected based on the picture at all recipes. Mine were pretty thin by the time I got them out of the oven.

In retrospect, I might add a little more flour next time and actually add more chocolate chips and a little less toffee bits. Or mostly chocolate chips and just a few toffee bits mixed in at the end. I have the rest of the dough in the bowl in my fridge yet and may take another shot at this in a day or so to see if a chilled dough and some more chocolate chips helps.

Ingredients:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
(kind of skipped this one - see notes above)
1 (6 ounce) package almond brickle chips
(I used an 8 oz pkg toffee bits instead)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Mix sugars, margarine and shortening until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in chocolate chips and brickle chips.
3. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 9-10 minutes until lightly brown.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com

2 comments:

  1. They look great! But yeah, they will spread with all that fat. That's actually quite a lot for only 2 cups of flour. My go-to cookie dough recipe has only 1/2 cup butter for 2 cups of flour, and they turn out soft and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip.I'll have to play around with the recipe a bit and see if that helps...they were quite yummy the day after...all buttery and sweet. Of course with all that fat, how could it now be yummy?

    ReplyDelete