Monday, June 27, 2011

Greenhouse Herb Chicken

 I'd wanted to buy this cookbook for a long time before I found it on sale at Borders a month or so back. I mean, we're talking a cookbook titled "Bite Me." What's not to love about that? But apart from the sheer fun of reading through the book (the photographs are not be missed, both food and other) there were some good recipes that I'd been ignoring for too long.  This was one of those recipes where I had all of the ingredients on hand, but would not myself have thought of putting them together like this. So it's a good thing the authors of this book did as it would have been a shame to miss something this good.  It reminded me a lot of chicken parmesan actually but in a slightly different can't put my finger on it way. Although the dish was good, I think next time I would skip the breading and just season the chicken well before putting it into the sauce to cook for a lighter taste and flavor.

Greenhouse Herb Chicken
Adapted very slightly From 
"Bite Me - A Stomach Satisfying Visually Gratifying Fresh Mouthed Cookbook" 
by Julie Albert and Lisa Gnat 

Chicken
2 large egg whites
1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp olive oil

Herb Sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup finely sliced green onions
(recipe called for 1/4 cup but there can never be too many green onions)
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp dried thyme
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp basil (optional)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 cups chicken broth
4 tbsp tomato paste

Mix breadcrumbs, oregano, basil, salt and pepper in large bowl. Dip Chicken breasts in egg whites and then into breadcrumb mix, pressing down firmly to evenly coat chicken.

Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in large skillet on medium high heat. Brown chicken breast in olive oil, two minutes on each side, or until brown. Remove from pan and set chicken aside. Wipe skillet clean (or skip it like I did).

Add 1 tbsp olive oil to pan over medium heat. Add green onions, oregano, garlic, thyme, basil and parsley. Saute for 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Add balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and tomato paste. Bring to boil, before reducing heat to low and simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Add chicken, cover pan and cook for 20 minutes. Serves 6.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower.

    I invite you to visit and follow TOGB.

    Have a Nice Day :-)

    ReplyDelete