Friday, June 11, 2010

Skillet Chicken Teriyaki with Fruit

I had a chance to make this recently when I was staying with my sister and trying to keep busy so I didn't go nuts from having to sit through a few hours of Home Shopping Network. No offense to those who shop it. I'd watch cooking shows all day in a heartbeat but clothing shows are not my thing. 

As my sister is not a cook herself, she didn't have much in the way of cooking items like measuring cups and timers and the such so I was a little concerned for a bit but I was happy (well more like relieved) that it turned out surprisingly good for a new recipe.

I should confess...I did mess up on following the instructions a bit by adding everything all at once but it still turned out very tasty according to my sister who says she would request it again. The picture doesn't do it justice as it was a night shot without a great deal of light but it's worth trying at least once. 


Skillet Chicken Teriyaki with Fruit 
from Creative Everyday Cooking

8 chicken thighs
1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks, packed in juice
1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp pepper
4 scallions
3 garlic cloves minced or crushed

  1. In a large skillet, place chicken thighs skin down. Set cold skillet on burner. Start heat low and gradually increase to medium high until chicken fat is rendered. 
  2. Brown chicken on one side, about 10 minutes. Turn chicken over and brown on other side for approximately 8 minutes. 
  3. Drain pineapple, reserving juice in 1 cup measure. Drain mandarin oranges, adding enough of syrup to reserved pineapple juice to measure 1/2 cup.
  4. In small bowl, combine fruit juice, soy sauce, cornstarch, dry mustard, ginger and pepper. 
  5. Coarsely chop scallions
  6. Remove chicken to plate and cover loosely to keep warm. Pour off all but 1 tbsp fat from skillet. Add garlic and stir fry over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add scallions and stir fry until limp, 1-2 minutes. 
  7. Stir in fruit juice mixture and pour into skillet. Add any juices that have accumulated on plate under chicken. Bring to a boil, stirring and cook until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. 
  8. Add chicken and pineapple to skillet and let sauce return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. 
  9. Just before serving, stir in mandarin oranges. Serve chicken topped with some sauce and fruit.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting recipe.. I like dishes where some fruit are involved! Thanks for sharing!

    Also, did you use regular teriyaki sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice, thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you enjoy the recipe.

    I actually used regular soy sauce for the recipe..specifically the little packets you get with chinese takeout for convenience and it worked out great. I think that this is a good base recipe where you could make a lot of changes to individualize the taste too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've never used those little packets, I usually toss them out, never thought of keeping them for later use :) Good idea!

    ReplyDelete