Tuesday, June 15, 2010

So-Cal Hot Dog

One of the best things about having my sister visit is having a chance to use her as a human guinea pig when I want to try out new recipes. But in case she's reading this, I love your company of course...you know that. Honestly. The guinea pig thing is really just a lucky coincidence.

I found this recipe in the Cuisine Grilling magazine I picked up a month or so ago. As hot dogs go, this was way outside my comfort zone. I'm usually a ketchup, mustard and relish kind of girl although I've been lead to believe that that is a severe hot dog faux pas in Chicago. So when I saw this, I went hmmm because I love my guacamole fixes. The other ingredients either left me dubious or a little perturbed at the thought of mixing them all together.

But don't let that turn you off. This is a mmmmm recipe in sister speak. When she is too busy eating and asks for seconds I know I have a winner. The only substitution I made was to omit the jalapeno but for those who love the spicy, I think this would make it even better.

Now I just have to work at figuring out how to dice melon without it looking like a prop from a horror movie and it would look even better.

I should also admit...I liked this a lot more than I had expected too. There's something about these flavors together that blend well...first you taste the fruit, then the mayo and then the guacamole when you bite it and then you think yum.  Definitely a eye opener for me in regards to stepping outside my food comfort zones.

SO-CAL HOT DOG
From Cuisine Grilling Magazine

AVOCADO MASH
1 avacado, pitted and peeled
Juice from 1/2 lime
Salt to taste

CILANTRO LIME MAYONAISE
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime


MANGO PICO DE GALLO
1 cup diced fresh mango
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 tbsp seeded and minced jalapeno (I omitted this)
1 tbsp honey
Juice from 1/2 Lime

4 hot dogs
4 hot dog buns

  1. Mash avocado with lime juice and salt with a potato masher or fork until chunky.
  2. Whisk together mayonnaise, cilantro and lime juice in bowl until combined. 
  3. Combine mango, onion, jalapeno, honey and lime juice in bowl. Chill until ready to serve. 
  4. Grill hot dogs and buns to desired doneness. Serve hot dogs in buns with avocado mash, cilantro lime mayo and mango pico de gallo.

1 comment:

  1. I just had this at a small town festival and it is great! My new favorite hot dog!

    ReplyDelete