Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes with Fresh Orange Pancake Sauce


I know. Two blog posts in one week? And both of them involving food? You know what this means of course.

My sister is in town.

Which is always nice, but I still  really need to make the effort to cook for myself like this too as this is some seriously good stuff. I'm a pancake girl anyway. And buttermilk pancakes are something I rarely turn down when given the opportunity.But it's the homemade syrup that really blows this dish away. Considering it was my first time making pancake syrup I was impressed at how well this turned out...although I need to remind myself now: USE A BIGGER PAN NEXT TIME. I hadn't considered the syrup would bubble up while cooking so my burner is...ahem...a bit of a sticky mess.

Buttermilk Pancakes
Adapted from Cooking Light: 5 Star Recipes

1 cup King Arthur Flour White All Wheat Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine egg, buttermilk and oil and add to dry ingredients until just moistened.

Coat nonstick griddle with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake and cook until lightly browned.



Fresh Orange Pancake Syrup
Adapted slightly from Cooking Light: 5 Star Recipes
 
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups unsweetened orange juice
1 1/3 cups fresh orange sections (approx 4 medium oranges)
Fresh Zest to taste 

Combine sugar and orange juice in a large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook 20-25 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in orange sections. Server warm or chilled with pancakes or over angel food cake. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment