Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tangy Yogurt Chops


Awhile back I bought a cookbook solely because I like butter. I know it's not healthy for you in great quantities. I know that if I wanted to be good girl with eating healthy, I would use less of it. But it just would not give the same taste to anything that I like to eat and even sometimes the things that I don't like to eat but do anyway because it's healthier than the things I like to eat.

Plus when you're browsing cookbooks at Barnes and Noble and come across a book that's called "The Great Big Butter Cookbook" and see a bowl full of butter balls on the front as artwork, you get drawn into looking at it and then leave the store quickly so you don't spent a fortune on it and go home and buy it used at Amazon.

So considering how long I've had this (months) it's amazing that I have never once cooked from it until today. And considering the number of desserts in this (naturally) it makes it even more strange.  But having eaten my fair share of sweets earlier in the day, it was a dinner recipe I went with instead.

 Tangy Yogurt Chops
From "The Great Big Butter Cookbook"


4 tbsp butter
4 pork loin chops
2 large onions, sliced
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms cleaned and sliced
1 tbsp paprika
1 14 oz can sliced tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp marjoram
1 small bay leaf
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup water
1 cup plain yogurt

Melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Brown pork chops on both sides, about 3-4 minutes and remove from pan.

Add remaining butter and onions to pan and cook until onions are tender and transparent. Add mushrooms and paprika and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, salt, marjoram and bay leaf. Return the pork chops to the sauce, raise the heat and bring sauce to a boil.

Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 1 hour. Remove pork chops and keep warm. Discard bay leaf.

In small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir this into sauce and cook until thickened. Remove pan from heat and stir in yogurt.

6 comments:

  1. Definitely bookmarking this one - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coyote...should warn you that you need to go with regular full fat yogurt too...I tried fat free and missed some of the tangy flavor that would have been there otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh crap! I just realized I left the comment on the wrong post! Sorry - I am exhausted and have a wedding/family reunion hangover right now...I meant to leave this comment on the sesame chicken post! Ack! My apologies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coyote...totally okay. My family reunions can wipe me out for days afterwards. Sesame chicken recipe rocks anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this same cookbook and your pork chops look delicious! What a great recipe to share. BTW, I do the same thing about finding a cookbook then ordering through Amazon.com. High Five us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shandy, high five indeed. Amazon and ebay are my temptresses but they are keeping me a little more financially solvent :) Thanks for visiting my blog...I'll need to visit yours more often for those yummy looking recipes!

    ReplyDelete