Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Easy Pork Tacos with Mango Salsa



Yes, it is true. I have cooked twice, in one week, and from the same cookbook I had bought during a just because I want it moment. Cue the made for tv movie with  inspirational music and a close up of me saying in a slightly tremulous voice "I ...I knew I could do it...all I had to do was try."

Okay, so being snowed in over here in Chicago did give me some extra time on my hands to get this done as well.

I don't think I've really tried the tropical fruit salsas (at least not as far as I remember) but I'm definitely glad I got out of my same old same old food ruts that I slip into from time to time and tried this. I did make a few substitutions as I am a wimp when it comes to very spicy foods and there was no way I was going to go down that canned chipolte chile road they suggested so I substituted some generous dashes of chili powder instead. Also, I chose to be a little lazy and went with dried cilanto (which I rehydrated) versus fresh.

Total revelation: I really liked this. The combo of the very slight spicy hint from the pork mixture combined with the mango salsa was great. The only thing I did not like was the corn tortilla as it bought a blandness to the dish so I would try something different the next time I make this.

Overall grade: A-. Yum.

Easy Pork Tacos with Mango Salsa
Very slightly adapted from: The Best Simple Recipes
Serves 4

1 1/2 cups chopped mango
1 small red onion chopped fine
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp lime juice
Salt and Pepper
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp canned chipotle chiles (or chili powder for the less brave)
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
12 6 inch corn tortillas, warmed

Combine mango, half of chopped onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1 tbsp lime juice, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in bowl. 

Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat until it begins to smoke. Add onion, chipotle and salt and cook until onion in softened, approximately 3 minutes. Stir in pork and cook until no longer pink.

Remove pan from heat and add remaining cilantro, lime juice and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with tortillas and mango salsa.

2 comments: