Thursday, February 24, 2011

Peruvian Roast Chicken with Garlic and Lime



It's now time to break up with Boston Market's chicken.

Roast chicken has been one of my weak spots in the culinary world. I successfully did one. I failed at my next attempt. So, I figured it was time to get off the fence and try one more time. Roast chicken for me is such a comfort food and when it doesn't work out, it just leaves a flat note in the day.

My only concern was some of the spices as I'm usually not a big fan of them. It used to be that I considered myself daring and on the edge if I used pepper. Now, I can border out as far as tossing in some sweeter milder chili powder and feel like I've conquered the villain and saved the world.

I am proud to say that having made this chicken, I can now boldly face down the rows of whole chickens at the grocery store without fear. Although I had some concerns about the spices, letting this marinate for 24 hours tempered it perfectly and the rub gave the chicken a lovely crispness to the skin. The smell alone very nearly had me salivating while I waited for it to cook.


Grade: A. Sorry Boston Market. There's just no comparison.

Peruvian Roast Chicken with Garlic & Lime
very slightly adapted from Cooks Illustrated - February/March Magazine 

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
2 tbsp kosher salt
 6 medium garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
 1 tbsp black ground pepper
 1 tbsp ground cumin
 1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground oregano
2 tsp grated zest and 1/4 cup juice (from 2 limes)
1 tsp ancho chili powder
4 pound whole chicken

Process all ingredients except chicken in blender until smooth paste forms (10-20 seconds). Using fingers or handle of wooden spoon, carefully loosen skin over thighs and breast and remove any excess fat. Rub half of paste beneath skin. Spread entire exterior surface of chicken with remaining paste. Place chicken in gallon sized zipper lock bag and marinate for 24 hours.

Roast at 400 degrees for 1 hour fifteen minutes or until done based. Rotate chicken while cooking. Carve, serve and enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I am making this next week! It looks totally awesome! I love the flavours in this and I have mint growing in my AeroGarden upstairs. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes some seriously good leftover too, coyote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look fantastic - I love a good roast chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just took it out of the oven! Just waiting for it to rest before I dig in. Smells amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Post is up: http://retorte.blogspot.com/2011/03/peruvian-roast-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, me and Allyson all made the same thing - great minds think alike! I was happy to see a link on Retorte's site to find you :-)

    ReplyDelete