Saturday, October 3, 2009

Amish Baked Oatmeal



Many many moons ago, I had gone to Pennsylvania on vacation and stayed at a bed and breakfast up north that served the most amazing baked oatmeal in the mornings. I'm not sure if this is the recipe I used, but it's one I came across in a Taste of Home Holiday Recipe Collection about 7 years ago and have been using ever since.

It's another one of my go-to guaranteed recipes when my sister comes to visit. Although I am sensing a theme here of only trotting out my faves when I have company...so time to start incorporating these back into my regular schedule as my waistline permits.

It reminds me a lot of oatmeal cookie and is fairly easy to make..one bowl, one saucepan sort of thing.

BAKED OATMEAL
From Taste of Home's Holiday Recipe Collection

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Warm Milk
Fresh Fruit/Brown Sugar optional

Combine the first eight ingredients and mix well. Spread evenly in a greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately spoon into bowl and add milk. Top with brown sugar or fruit if desired.

Yield: 6 servings

3 comments:

  1. I never thought of baking oatmeal. What a great idea! I can imagine it tasted very much like an oatmeal cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an avid lover of oatmeal and this is a recipe I definitely would use! Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Palidor...baked oatmeal is great. I found another baked oatmeal recipe through Penzy's that includes nuts and fruits so I'll have to try that one soon.

    Emily,thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you enjoy the recipe. It's been one of my favorites for years.

    ReplyDelete