Monday, October 5, 2009

Crockpot Chili Chicken










Crockpot Tender Chili Chicken
Adapted from :New Recipes from Quilt Country by Marcia Adams

I have always loved this recipe. And yes, it's another one of the recipes I feed to my sister. This time around though I tried to make it easier. In the past, after dredging the chicken(originally pork chops) through the flour, you brown them in hot oil and then simmer in a pan. Considering I never got the oil hot enough to successfully pull this off, I dredged and threw everything into a crockpot which tasted just as good as the original. Although I think with previous attempts I may have been using old ginger, because for some reason I could really taste the addition this time.

1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp ground ginger
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup dried onion flakes
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup chili sauce
3 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp light or dark brown sugar, packed
1 tsp dried thyme

In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, pepper and ginger. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Lay in slightly overlapping circle in crockpot.

Add onion and garlic to bowl. Stir in stock, chili sauce, vineagar, brown sugar and minced thyme.

Turn crockpot to High (I was hungry and in a hurry). Lay small mini potatoes in circle around chicken. Cook until potatoes are tender and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful! And it seems easy to throw together to. Do you use your crockpot often? I don't have one, but I see lots of bloggers using them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lot easier than I thought to make this in a crockpot. Unfortunately, I don't use it as much as I should. Mostly because when I do, it's normally just dumping ingredients in which don't taste that great and then I just lose interest.

    ReplyDelete