Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Making the Most of the Time We Have




I may or may not be in to work today as Mr Data (aka Kitty Extraordinaire) is having a rough start to his day. Not that i'm sure being home with him well help him at all as I'm bound to be hovering over him and making him slightly nuts. But I've realized after these past few months that there are just times when you have to seize the moment while it's there. Now I don't think these are the final few days for Mr Data, although I can see that day closer in the future than I used to. But I remember what it was like when we lost his brother, Brandy, last year to heart disease. Now Brandy had lived a very full life (he was nearly 21) but I've never forgotten feeling like I wished I'd not worked so many hours at work and not played so many computer games and spent that time with him instead. I'm not going to make the same mistake with Data.

So despite my complaining and grumbling about work and what's wrong with it, I have to be grateful that I work somewhere where I can email my boss and tell them I won't be in today because my cat is not feeling well. I'm not entirely sure that the boss will be completely happy because there are things to be done today (last minute of course most of which are not necessary with some planning and scheduling) but it's not like I'm going to get written up or fired for it. All things considered, I have a fair amount of flexibility in regards to taking time off for what I consider to be an emergency. And I have a coworker who will help out with the phones if needed.

Maybe all of this is a much needed wakeup call to appreciate the things that are right with the coworkers and the boss and the office in general. And a reminder to just put down the mouse and step away from the computer and live life a little more. To just sit and be still and take care of my own life instead of worrying about what other people are and are not doing.

Right now, Mr Data is sleeping on the side of the couch in his favorite spot next to the radiator where it's nice and toasty warm. He's eating a little, hasn't had a litterbox incident for a few hours now and I'm starting to feel all might be okay.

Still taking the day off though. Mr Data and I need this time together.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you and Mr. Data have a good day together. I'm sure he appreciates you being home.

    ReplyDelete