Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bitter Pancake Fun

So I decided today that I was going to make pancakes..and had the most difficult time finding recipes in any of my cookbooks. Which of course inspired me to think I should have bought the Dorie Greenspan pancake book when I had the chance but never mind. I finally ended up locating one in my Betty Crocker cookbook but after everything was beautifully mixed together I glanced over at the table and saw I had put in 3 tsp of baking soda instead of baking powder.

Not even all the blueberry syrup in the world could have made those pancakes taste good. First bite tasted okay. Then came the bitter aftertaste that I have to assume came from the baking soda. Still, never mind. I have cookies to console myself with that I can post pictures of when I get to work on Monday...Maple Cookies with a brandy vanilla glaze. Yum. It's at times like this when I miss having a computer at home. That might have helped me salvage the pancake disaster today.

Overall, though, I can see the benefits of learning to live without the computer. I've gotten more books read in the last three weeks then I have in the last six months. I spend a lot more time with Mr Data and being the lapcat that he is, this is a dream come true for him. But best of all, I guess I rather feel like I've finally succeed in separating work from home.Because I spent a lot of my day in front of a computer already. Bringing that home with me left me spending most of my life in front of  a computer.

And as a side effect, I get out of the house on time more often than not.

But my apologizes do go out to those who have posted comments that I haven't responded to. I do read them and enjoy them and are often encouraged by them. But at work, there's not a lot of time to spend blogging without having someone reading over my shoulder. And I am very adamant about keeping this blog and work separate. All of us need a place or two to be ourselves. Fortunately, this is one of my places. Thank you though to everyone, especially Palidor, Cathy, Nat & Diane for being there and making me laugh with your comments. It's very much appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya about keeping work and home separate. I firmly believe that our society works FAR too much and we'd be a lot better off if we cut back and left work at the office where it belongs. Sadly, I seem to be the minority on that issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alton Brown's buttermilk pancake mix recipe. That's what I use and they always come out awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm sorry to hear about the baking soda mishap. But i definitely learnt from you today that its never a substitute for when baking powder is whats called for. ( will you believe it if I told you today was the first time I ever used baking soda...on the cookies i made for my little girl). I was only very recently educated on the difference between the two,...

    Also, you're most welcome ! Keep enjoying those good reads... Happy Halloween...Stay safe !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Palidor...I'm a lot less stressed now in some ways since I don't have to worry about work emails and the temptation to read them outside of work..so I totally agree with you.

    Me - thanks for the recipe tip. I found his recipe over at food network and am looking forward to making it next weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    Nat - I always used to think of baking soda as something that you just put in the fridge and am still learning a lot about cooking so I totally understand what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete