Friday, October 2, 2009

Pasta Bolognese




Pasta Bolognese has got to be my favorite/go-to recipe that I always trot out when my sister comes to visit. Today, I decided in celebration of the 3 day weekend, I was going to make it for myself.

I found the recipe in a book I picked up years ago from a cookbook store that has long since gone out of business (fortunately for me as I work very close to said area). And it is a fairly fool proof recipe providing the pasta doesn't overcook. However, I always forget that it's half a pound of meat not a full pound. But it's still yummy. And who would have thought it...getting all the ingredients together before cooking made it a lot easier.


Pasta Bolognese
from "Quick from Scratch Pasta (Food & Wine Series)

Serves 4

2 TBSP Butter
1/4 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 onion, chopped
1/2 lb ground beef (I use turkey)
1 cup canned low sodium beef or chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 TBSP tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper (I used jarred)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 lb spaghetti
2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley

  1. In a large frying pan, heat the butter and bacon over moderately low heat. Cook until the bacon renders some of it's fat, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes longer.
  2. Stir in ground beef and cook unitl meat is no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, wine, tomato paste, oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 25 minutes. Stir in the cream and remove from heat.
  3. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti until just done, about 12 minutes. Drain and toss with the sauce and parsley.

2 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! I'm a carnivore, so I'd totally add a pound of meat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As am I which is why i tend to add 1/2 lb instead of a 1/4 lb...can never have too much bacon.

    ReplyDelete